... (Click To Read About Our Header) ...


Scroll below the Exercise Log to View most recent posts.

Two sisters (neither of us dreadfully obese, but both wanting to look better and feel better) have decided to post our private confessions. Feel free to comment and encourage us on or even to request sidebar space of your own to track your weekly or monthly progress with us!
___________________________________________

Tuesday 18 December 2007

My Trip -- Part 2

In 1977 (many, many moons ago -- in fact, was I even alive then??), I was engaged to Barry, but we did not plan to get married for another long year, so I enrolled in the one-year secretarial course at Sheridan College in Oakville, Ontario. That was an excellent decision because what I learned that year has been the foundation for all the work I have done since then. Typing, grammar, and shorthand skills weren't the only benefits, though. Three of us students -- Pat, Frances, and I -- became friends and spent a lot of time studying together and hanging out between classes.

Over the years, Pat has been just wonderful about keeping in touch with me. She wrote lots of letters before the days of email and sent pictures and Christmas cards. I have not been nearly as good at that as she has, but I have always admired her ability to do it so well. Thirty years later, we still love to keep in touch which is much easier now with emails back and forth and blogs and such! Still, there is nothing like getting together and gabbing the hours away over coffee, which is exactly what we did during my visit with Carol-Ann. Here is Pat, looking back at me from across the coffee-shop table.

This is a weight-loss blog, so I am duty bound to say that I totally resisted the urge to get more than coffee! We were surrounded by goodies at this wonderful coffee shop, but I raised my chin and stiffened my upper lip! (Actually, I better be honest and admit that I had just eaten!) Now, though, we are starting into the Christmas season with all the goodies and big meals that go with it.

This is my plan: Keep drinking more water, take only one helping at meals, give in and eat only one little sweet each day, and run around like crazy to burn off calories!!

On a more serious note, though, I have been thinking about how in some parts of the world there is no need for weight loss because there is not even enough food to sustain healthy life. So let's remember this Christmas to be very thankful for our many, many blessings!

5 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Frances! That's a name I remember from long ago! Are you still in touch with her too?

Friendships that go back thirty years are to be lauded! And usually it does take one person just refusing to let go of the ropes even though life circumstances make it inconvenient!

It's nice to sit across from the table from someone and know they remember what you used to look like! Ha!

Now let me get a handle on this: You sat for three hours in ARTISANO's and didn't have a single bite of ANYTHING from any of their delicacies??? Only coffee??? I am flabbergasted! This is grounds on which to insist that you return! No one must visit Etobicoke and leave without having had at least one bite of a lemon swirl from Artisano's! Sheesh!

Um ... I guess this is why I need this blog!

Jeanette said...

Carol-Ann, you are too funny! Pat and I were both very good and had only coffees. But to be honest, once we started talking, I didn't think any more about eating.

I have not been in touch with Frances recently at all, but Pat has been. Maybe someday the three of us can get together. What fun that would be!

I'd be okay with going for a lemon swirl right now. Can I come over?

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Oh this is getting to be fun! Hi Pat and welcome to our sidebar!

This is not a good time of year, though, to be weight-watchin'! I was out with the team at work today to an all you can eat buffet at Vinnie Zucchini's. And then I needed comfort food tonight and I dragged out a box of chocolates that Bruce had hidden for me in a hiding place that I suggested. I had a chocolatey grin on my face when Kinza walked in and caught me red-handed! She said, "MOM!", marched over to my Supremes, clomped the tin shut and walked out of the room with them tucked under her arm. Neither she nor Bruce seem the least bit tempted by this stuff. Good grief!

Roger has sent the message that he will weigh in again when he remembers! Hmmmff! Methinks I may have a little memory loss myself on Monday!

Amrita said...

Nice to hear you had a good visit with Pat. resisting all those goodies is hard.

Jeanette said...

You are so right, Amrita. It IS hard to resist, and we have embarked on this at a difficult time of year, as Carol-Ann was having fun with yesterday. Pat told me the holiday goodies are placed right near her desk at work, and the scents of vanilla and chocolate are wafting her way all day!

I wish Kinza would come over to my house and grab things away from me!! Coral would just hug me and not mind at all if I blew up like a balloon!!

I'm liking the thought of amnesia on Monday! No, I mustn't give in to that thought. But I must say I have never thought of "hiding" sweets in a place that I myself have suggested!!! You need this blog just as much as I do, dear sister!