... (Click To Read About Our Header) ...


Scroll below the Exercise Log to View most recent posts.

Two sisters (neither of us dreadfully obese, but both wanting to look better and feel better) have decided to post our private confessions. Feel free to comment and encourage us on or even to request sidebar space of your own to track your weekly or monthly progress with us!
___________________________________________

Sunday 10 February 2008

Thankfulness...

What a difference thankfulness can make! An 88-year-old friend who had Alzheimer's passed away recently. His family, and especially his wife, cared for him lovingly, and he was able to be at home until just before the end. At his funeral yesterday, so many wonderful things were said about him, and one of them was that he had a grateful attitude. He was always thankful and always satisfied with very little. As his disease progressed, he became more gentle. His widow told me she is so thankful that his long ordeal is over and even more thankful because she knows where he is now -- in heaven with Jesus who has been his focus for so many years. What a difference her thankfulness makes! For my part, I am thankful to have that family in my circle of friends and thankful that I was able to help with the music for the funeral.

Now I have to admit that preparing for the funeral has been hard because I am probably the princess of nerves! I won't claim to being queen, because I know there is room to be worse! I was asked to provide the piano prelude, accompany a young violinist for "Amazing Grace," and play the piano for and sing two hymns with Elaine (a near neighbor of mine). The source of my nerves is partly good and partly bad, the good being a desire to do my best and not disappoint anyone, the bad being that I have not been practicing the piano as I should! Thus, this week has been very full of practice, practice, practice, alone and with others. In the midst of this stress, though, what a difference thankfulness has made -- thankfulness that the family wanted me to be part of the funeral, thankfulness that I could actually do what they needed, thankfulness for music and for the irreplaceable beauty of the old hymns. And after it is all over, I am EVER so thankful that everything went well!

As I was hurrying out to practice with Elaine on Friday night, I forgot about some ice on our dark driveway, and...well, I think I might have been fodder for one of those funniest home videos! I said out loud, "Am I all right?" I seemed to be, so I got up and went on up the street to Elaine's. But in the back of my mind, I knew that if you are middle-aged and go wham! on the ice, there might be a price to pay, so I was praying all the time that I wouldn't wake up the next morning so stiff and sore that I could not play the piano properly. Yesterday, except for some slight tenderness when I set my right elbow on the table, I really did not notice anything wrong, and I can assure you my thankfulness was soaring! Today I am noticing that there is some muscle strain in my right arm, but how thankful I am that my prayer was answered!

Now tonight I am practicing being thankful again. Tomorrow morning I have an appointment with the dentist. He told me I have a cavity under the cap on one of my teeth as well as one on the adjacent tooth, so tomorrow he is "going in there" and will decide if he can fix it or if I need to have a root canal. Oh dear! So now I am practicing being thankful... I'm thankful that I live near a dentist, that there are pain meds available to me, and that I can afford to go and have my cavities taken care of. That is not the case for many of the people in this world. How blessed I am!

And as far as the weight loss goes...I will be thankful for any weight I show tomorrow morning...gain or loss!! It has been that kind of a week!

7 comments:

Amrita said...

Praise God for the all the good memories of your friend.Great testimony. Now he has joined the great cloud of witnesses.

Wow, I really admire your piano playing skills. You gals are so talented at all keyboards, be it music or cyber.

Hope your arm heals soon. Will hot fermentation help you. We use hot water and salt for relief.

Happy week ahead.

Jeanette said...

Hi Amrita. Thanks for all your comments. I think one of the biggest blessings we can give our families is to live in such a way that there is a great deal of joy at our funerals, not because we are gone (!) but because there are wonderful memories and no question as to where we have gone.

Wouldn't it be fun to get together and sing? Maybe someday we can!

I'm not sure how to use hot fermentation, as I have never heard of it before. Please tell me more about that.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Hey there J!
Can you believe it ... I have to apologize -- I haven't read the blog yet! I shall try to catch up tomorrow! Zzzzzzzzz!

Jeanette said...

Hi, C-A! Catch up on your ZZZZs first, and catch up on the blog tomorrow!

I spent 2 hours in the dentist chair (more like a recliner) today. It turned out to be a root canal! And he couldn't find the third root to pull out, so had to take x-rays and go on a search-and-destroy mission! By the time he was ending, my teeth were coming back to life, and that made me nervous! I'm glad that is over.

Best dentist chair I ever was in, though. They told me they were going to give me a break and left the room. Then I felt little things moving on my back. I thought the shots were getting to me, but the chair had started to massage! Woo hoo! A couple of times I caught myself falling asleep while waiting for them. That is a total first for me at the dentist!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

My oh my!
I have just read the post!
First of all, I wish my dentist's chair had a massage seat! I had my first root canal experience a couple of years ago -- not a fun ordeal! She kept warning me she might hit a nerve, so, of course, I was as tense as could be and so, of course, she kept reminding me to breathe,... etc., etc!

How's your arm?

Regarding music, I'm starting to think, in my old age, that I should formally set aside practise time each day as if I were a kid starting out! It is such a wonderful thing but we just let time slip by on it! I'm glad to see the funeral went well. I MUCH prefer to play at funerals than weddings! At weddings people are waiting to be wow-ed by the music. It is entertainment with expectation. At funerals they are willing to receive music for comfort and that's the kind of playing I really, really enjoy!

Jeanette said...

Carol-Ann, you have it exactly right about the music at weddings and funerals! I am just the same, but you said it better than I could have.

Well, I can't say I would do well in your dentist's chair! Isn't it all supposed to be deadened? Then she is welcome to hit a deadened nerve anytime, but a live one?! OOOPH! I just don't even want to think about that.

First thing on Monday morning I called my chiropractor and made an appointment for after my dental appointment. I had a lot of things needing fixing on the side I landed on, even though I landed well, all things considered. He also had some work to do on my jaw and neck on the side of the work. I think I will be okay!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

OH NO!
Oh Pat! What happened! Oh phooey! You know, you get like the people you hang around with! So maybe if Jeanette and I continue to pull up our socks, better things will happen next week as you continue to hang around with the newly disciplined duo!

We are both back down in the range of our all-time lows! Since I'm on holiday here with the new "Family Day", maybe I'll finish putting that piece of equipment together! I am just NO GOOD at outdoor exercise! When it's together I shall give a video demo!

Hey! maybe I'll land an info-mercial job as the world is wow-ed by the before and after.